Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Kuroko's Basketball and Slam Dunk

My dear fellow 90s kids, do you remember Slam Dunk? Who could forget the story of an idiot joining the school's basketball team in order to impress a cute girl? And of course, who could forget about Rukawa's fan club and their pink and white uniforms?



Those girls still haunt my nightmares.

Anyway, after getting my fill of Slam Dunk I never went back to the sports anime genre until Kuroko's basketball. You guys could see the poster for the show here:
Photo credit: Google

I am currently watching the fifth episode and so far so good. The anime is purely about basketball, no romance or even school. It is just basketball.

I do not want to spoil too much about the series, and I kind of want to continue watching this show so I would outline the things I like and don't like about the show.
Like
  1.  I really like the titular character Kuroko. He is the total opposite of Sakuragi, the main character of Slam Dunk. Kuroko plays basketball simply because he like playing basketball and it also helps that he has a special talent.
  2. The coach is a teenage girl. 
  3. The second main character is interesting as well. Taiga Kagami is not the typical bonehead brute, but he is a rather cunning powerhouse. 
  4. It brings back some of the basketball plays that I learned while watching Slam Dunk. Remember man to man defense? And of course, there are a lot of slam dunks as well.
Don't like:
  1.  The show is purely basketball so far. I think I would get bored pretty soon.
  2. Basketball games kind of drags for my taste. If you are not a fan of the three episode matches seen in Yu-gi-Oh and Dragon Ball Z, this is not the anime for you.
Conclusion:
If you are one of those people who watched Slam Dunk everyday, this may be a good show to watch. It kind of brings in the nostalgia factor without watching the same show all over again. This may be a good thing because when I rewatch a show, I just end up looking for some memorable moments and trolling wikipedia to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment